Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Malachi's Birth Story

It all started Monday, January 14th, I had a drs. appointment at 11:30. The dr checked me and said right before he checked me, "You probably have not progressed past the 4 you were at last week but lets check." He checked me and made a face and said with a surprise tone, "You have progressed to a 6+." A little shocked and relieved at the same time since I had not felt a single contraction. The dr. tried to get me to go to the hospital right then but I said I would really like to wait and see what happens plus I had an interview to get my minister credentials that afternoon I didn't want to miss. He then informed that at any point I wanted to go to the hospital they would check me in and any kind of contraction head to the hospital.

The car ride home Matthew was beginning to get nervous about the progress I made and the possibility of him delivering the baby because we did not make in time to the hospital. We headed back to the camp and everyone we told became very nervous for me. After the interview and we were just sitting in my office Matthew kept bringing up the hospital and I said ok lets go. We went home and I finished packing my bag, organized a few things and we headed to go through a drive through to get something to eat then headed to get checked in at the hospital. The nurse hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor and the contraction monitor and said, "you act like you do not even feel those contractions." I then told her I had no idea I was having contractions. She then told me I was in active labor with contractions 2 mins or less apart about 1 min long contractions. Shortly after that the dr came in and checked me and told me I was now an 8+ and was very glad I came in. At 3:30 he broke my water and said it should go quickly. He came in and checked me at about 4:30 and I was a 10 but the baby was still at a station -2 so he thought since I was not feeling contractions we would wait and see if we could get the baby to drop. I agreed at that time to go on pitocin to get stronger contractions to see if I could feel the contractions and it would help the baby drop. About a half hour later he decided he would see if I could push the baby down. So about 5:00 we started pushing. For 2 1/2 hours I pushed, pushed with no aide at all, Pushed with the help of a vacuum, pushed with the dr. trying to help, and the baby was coming down but would go right back up. Finally the dr. said I needed to rest and recommended a c-section. He said a second baby will usually come out with out any pushing with a vacuum and there is something that it is keeping the baby from coming down. My initial reaction was immediate tears of the fear of a c-section and asked the dr. if I could think about. He told me I could wait and see if the baby would come down further and talk it over. At this time I started getting contractions I could feel.

An hour went by and during that time I as well as Matthew got a peace about the c-section if the baby did not drop. I am so thankful for a good dr. that tried his hardest to give me a natural birth and that was very compassionate, who checked me several times to see if the baby had dropped down, even checked me in the operating room before doing the spinal tap just to make sure. There was no change so we proceeded with a spinal tap, again God had his hand on me and gave me an extremely attentive and compassionate anesthesiologist. Matthew was able to come in the room and hold my hand during the whole procedure which took from the time the spinal tap went in to the time they were done was 30 mins. As soon as the Dr. and the assisting Dr. saw Malachi they both said there was no way he would have come through the birth canal based on his side. The second I heard his cry, I began to cry tears of relief that this wonderful gift from God had made it safely. The instant they sat him next to me on the table he stopped crying and just laid next to me and then they took him away so they could clean him off and he began crying again.

Malachi was 7 lbs 8 oz, 19 3/4 inches tall, and a head circumference of 13 3/4. So he was not even a huge baby but he was 2 lbs bigger than Niah. We are absolutely in love with our little man and try to take advantage of every day with him because we know time is short.
Niah Loves him

I know this is a long post but before I end I want to say how thankful I am for such a caring husband I have. He has been by my side and supported me through the hospital stay, recovery, and even my emotional post pregnancy break down day. I can't imagine going through life with anyone else.

The Life Of Faith


  1. Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! I love his name :)Thanks for sharing your powerful story, new follower!

  2. So sweet! That's crazy that you didn't even feel your contractions. Mine were so painful even when I was just dilated to a 3! Thanks for sharing your story and linking up with Mommy Moments:)


  3. Congrats on your baby boy! Great minds think alike on baby names!