Sunday, May 22, 2016

6 years of wedded bliss

I intended to bring my keyboard to my iPad to type this out as we are on holiday for the weekend but instead I pecking away at the letters so I apologize now for mistakes.

6 years ago today at 6:00 pm, I married my love.  I recently read my wedding ceremony that I put together because I sent it to my dear friend that has always been more like my little sister that was getting married, as I read the words they spoke to my heart just as much now as they did then.  I may have then watched my wedding video and loved every minute of it!

One of the most important things in the ceremony to me was highlighting what a covenant is and what it means to enter into a covenant.  In a society that is trying to take away the significance of promises, marriage between a man and woman, and family, it was so important to read those words to 200 of our friends and family and now live them everyday.  I thought I would include one of my favorite parts today (I wanted to just put the whole ceremony but thought I would be the only one to enjoy it):
"Matthew and Cara, nothing is easier than saying words, and nothing is harder than living them day by day. What you promise now must be renewed and redecided everday. At the end of this ceremony, legally you will be husband and wife, but you still decide each day that stretches out before you, you want to be married.

The world has the idea that marriage is simply a legal contract. But marriage is so much more it is a Holy Covenant.  You are entering into a sacred covenant as life partners in God.  The quality of your marriage will reflect what you put into nurturing this relationship you have the opportunity to go forward from this day to create a faithful, kind, and tender relationship.  

The vows you are going to make and the covenant being made today is a lifelong commitment in:

Ecclesiastes 5:4-6 gives us God’s view of keeping vows:

“When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it.  He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow.  It is better not to vow than to make a vow not fulfill it.  Do not let your mouth lead you into sin.  And no protest to the temple messenger. “My vow was a mistake.’ Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the works of your hands?”

Matthew 19:6 “Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."



Everyday, we choose to fulfill the covenant that we made 6 years ago and most days are wonderful doing life with my husband, but there are moments of miscommunication, bad moods, and misunderstandings.  But along with that has to come conflict resolution, forgiveness, and talking.  I can not imagine doing life with anyone else.  I love and respect his work ethic and passion to figure out how to fix everything, his servants heart but most of all I love how he pursues a fervent relationship with God daily.  


Happy 6 years to us. 


Side note: I was telling my oldest 2 that today was the day that we got my married and my eldest, Niah said, "are you going to put on your wedding dress and eat cake?" Yes Niah, when I get home I will be putting on my dress and everyone gets cakes!! (I thought it was funny she knew)


No comments:

Post a Comment