Sunday, January 31, 2016

Be careful little eyes what you see

"Be careful little eyes what you see". 

I remember learning that song as a small child and would sing it often.

Fast forward 20 years and that song goes through my head daily, as I pray and seek wisdom for my littles.  Daily, I evaluate on what is ok and not ok for my children.  How do I teach them about this broken world and be cautious without putting fear in them.  How do I guard their hearts and protect their innocence.  The only way to do it, is wisdom from my Savior! And to shut down the influence of people, social media, and society! I have realized it is ok if my almost 5 year has never seen Frozen or an princess movie for that movie. That up until recently she didn't know it was a movie.  My son has never seen a super hero movie and may get batman and superman confused.  My kids will immediately run to us if someone tells them to keep a secret, they may yell the word "boundary" at weird times because they feel uncomfortable, they may even kick you and scream if you grab their hand in the store (the husband gave a class), and they may not know a lot of main stream things.

It was an easy decision, one that you know was God because you and your husband came up with the same thoughts without any conversations and feel so sure about it that you check everyday with each other on that day.  I in no way mean to offend anyone and I believe every parent knows their babies and has to decide what's right for them.  Why, we do we do it.  Well, my babies will only be little for a short time.  They have a short time to be protected from this broken world before they come across hurt, peer pressure, and life.


My little girl has the princess pjs, dress up dresses, and accessories!  My son has an avengers backpack.  They may think that Ariel and Jasmin are cousins under the sea and the next day sisters in a castle.

Right they imagine they are the princesses and prince and mommy and daddy are the king and queen.  That a dad dances with his daughter through the whole house and shows her how she is to be treated.  That a mom takes her son on special outings and he orders the food and learns to be a gentleman.  They watch their parents respect each other, love each other and work out conflict in a good way instead of watching unrealistic relationship.  Right now they do not know about boyfriend and girlfriends and have no need to know.   Right now they have no fears of villains. Right now, my daughter thinks the toy in her happy meal is a not pretty girl, that she threw away.

This is the raunchy stencil that she got in her McDonald's happy meal yesterday!

Is it realistic to do that?  I have to believe for my kids, yes.  

One day when the day is right, I will walk my daughter into a fairytale princess movie and be excited with her to watch.  One day my son may watch super Heroes and realize that they did more than stopping the not nice kid on the playground.  One day, when we believe that it is right for our family.  But until then my daughter will dance in the hallway with her dad and imagine what princesses do.  And my son will save the kids being picked on and learn to be a gentleman from his mom.

"Be Careful little eyes what you see, be careful little ears what you hear, be careful little hands what you do, be careful little feet where you go, and be careful little mouth what you say" 

Remember I am in no way judging any parent, our job as parents is to decide what's right for our kids and it will be completely different for every family.  And every parent has the same ultimate goal to protect and raise our littles the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment