Sunday, April 8, 2012

Lemon Tres Leche Cake

My mom needed a dessert for our Easter Lunch and so I knew I wanted a fruit flavor desert with it being spring. I started googling recipes and put a couple recipes together and this is what I came up with. It took quite a bit of time to prepare but I spaced each part through out the day so I would say total prep time if you did it at one time about an hour. Total cook time 30 mins. Tres Leche: 12 oz evaporated milk 1 cup sweetened condensed milk 1 cup heavy cream 1 teaspoon vanilla Cake: 1 cup sifted flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1/4 cup melted butter 1/2 teaspoon. lemon extract 1/2 cup milk scalded 6 egg yolks 1 cup sugar Mousse: 1 lemon zested and juiced 2 tablespoons simple syrup 1 package unflavored gelatin 2 cup heavy cream -- chilled 1 cup lemon curd -- your favorite recipe Topping: 2 cups sweetened whipped cream Chill the bowl and wire whip of an electric mixer in the freezer. Whisk together flour and baking powder; keep scalded milk hot. In an electric mixer beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar, butter and lemon extract. Quickly add flour mixture. Stir just until mixed. Gently stir in hot milk mixture. Pour into greased 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Bake in oven 350 degrees oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely. Mix ingredients for Tres Leche together. After cake is completely cooled, I cut the top off of my cake so I cook have an even top and so the cake wouldn't be so thick since this will be a rich dessert. Poke holes all over cake and pour tres leche mixture over cake and let it soak in the cake. I only used about half of the mixture but you almost have to make that much because I do not think you can get a smaller can of evaporated milk. I stopped when it seemed the cake could not absorb anymore of the milk mixture. I put the cake in the fridge. You have to make a lemon curd for the mousse, I used a recipe from foodnetwork.com. You take 5 egg yolks, 1 cup of sugar and it said 4 lemons squeezed making 1/3 cup juice (I did not have lemons so I used lemon juice), and beat with an electric mixer for several minutes in metal bowl. Then in a sauce pan bring water to a boil and then turn water down to a simmer and put metal bowl on top of sauce pan don't let it touch the top of water just getting the heat. Mix with whisk for 8 minutes. Then cut up a stick of butter (I cut mine into 1/2 tbsp) and add a piece at a time until it melts. Then refridgerate. In a small saucepan combine the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons simple syrup and gelatin. Stir to soften the gelatin. I on accident got pudding instead of gelatin and pudding worked great. I remade it with the unflavored gelatin and the mousse is easier to work with when you use the gelatin. The mousse with the pudding tasted great just not as good of a consistancy. Place over low heat and cook until the gelatin dissolves, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and pour into a mixing bowl. Whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Combine the gelatin mixture and lemon curd. Mix well. Add the lemon mixture to the whipped cream. Continue to beat until the cream forms stiff peaks. Spread lemon cream over cake and place in the refrigerator to set - 3 to 4 hours. When I served the cake I drizzled carmel sauce over the top of the cake and made sweeten whipped cream. I took a cup of heavy cream 1/2 tsp of vanilla and about 1/4 sugar and beat until stiff peaks. I put the whipped cream in a plastic bag, cut the tip out and squirted it on the cake. It was probably a more tedious dessert I made but it turned out great and would definately do it again.

1 comment: